O dia em que Patrick Muirhead decidiu deixar de ser gay

quinta-feira, janeiro 21, 2010


January 18, 2010
The day I decided to stop being gay
Twenty years after he came out, Patrick Muirhead, 41, explains why he is suddenly feeling the appeal of the opposite sex




Patrick Muirhead has already reinvented himself as a pilot. Now he wishes to become a father


A minor incident in a barber’s shop last week has helped me to realise that I may no longer be gay. Not a fully fledged homo, anyway; perhaps not even a part-timer who helps the team out when it’s busy. It appears I may be going straight.

I was in Tenterden, the Kentish village where I was brought up and to which I have lately returned, working at a nearby aerodrome as a helicopter pilot. I was waiting my turn for a chatty Latvian to apply the hot towels and razor.

A handsome young dad entered with a small, fair-haired boy at his side. The man took a seat and hoisted the wide-eyed child proudly on to his knee. The first haircut, I speculated inwardly, as an unfamiliar fatherly glow and feeling of mild envy swept over me. I could not tear my attention away from the mirrored reflections.

From time to time, the dad leant forward as they waited and whispered close to his son’s ear, tenderly kissing his fair head. Touching stuff.

But then my eyes lowered and I became transfixed by the sight of the boy’s tiny pink fingers gripping his father’s huge, workman-like fist. And I almost wanted to burst into song.

I think my life changed at that moment.

That’s love, folks. Simple really. A proud dad, an adored little boy and a beautiful display of dependence and responsibility. It was the epiphany I had needed and I emerged with a dashing new haircut and a desire to procreate.

Gays have children these days, of course they do, and not always to accessorise an outfit. Some gay couples adopt; others follow twisting paths to biological parenthood, often quite expensively, with the involvement of test tubes and cash changing hands. It is, really, a sort of snook to the system of nature. Shooting for the net without the chore of running with the ball. It’s just not for me.

And lately I have, almost imperceptibly, been laying the groundwork to make parenthood happen in the old-fashioned way. I have been flirting with someone at my local pub, thinking about her at odd times, making excuses to call her and wondering if she likes me. It’s rather strange.

This will come as a shock to — among others — my male former partner of ten years, gay pals from my former media career, my rabidly heterosexual chums in the aviation industry and, not least, my family (who rather hoped I was going through a phase — albeit for about 20 years). Well, it’s come as a shock to me, too.
...

Read more here/Leia mais aqui: Times Online

+++++

NOTA DESTE BLOGGER:

Um blog fora da linha editorial deste blogger, mas publicado aqui por três razões:

1. Eu tenho amigos que são gays e lésbicas e querem deixar de sê-los. O que se propaga é a síndrome do Flamengo: uma vez gay, sempre gay. Muirhead e outros não se encaixam neste estereótipo: eles querem deixar de ser gays por livre espontânea vontade.

2. Eu creio que isso é possível. Muirhead é um exemplo recente disso. E que a livre escolha dessas pessoas em querer deixar de ser gays ou lésbicas deve ser respeitada pela comunidade gay.

3. Eu não sou homófobo. Tenho amigos e amigas com esta opção sexual. Eu sou contra a mordaça gay
que querem impor à sociedade brasileira.